NORTH PIKE SCHOOL DISTRICT
SPECIAL BOND ELECTION
MARCH 7, 2017
What is the Bond Issue?
The bond issue is the legal method the District may use to raise money to build and improve schools. State law requires the District to hold a special election on whether the bonds may be issued. The District may issue the bonds only if at least 60% of the individuals voting in the election approve the bonds. Only qualified voters residing in the District may vote in the election.
Why does the District need to issue bonds?
The District needs the proceeds of the bond issue to make improvements to facilities at each school campus to a level that will meet critical growth needs, technological and educational standards for the foreseeable future. The bond issue will ensure that critical space needs are addressed. It also creates a long range vision and master plan for the future.
How will the District use the Proceeds?
The District will use the proceeds for the purpose of adding classrooms, and making other renovations and improvements at the existing schools as well as a new Upper Elementary School. The specific improvements at each campus are:
New Upper Elementary School (4th,5th)
- Build a new 4-5 school on existing school property. The facility will be designed to accommodate an additional grade when needed.
Existing Elementary School
- Create a new secure entry vestibule at front entry.
- Renovate an existing classroom as front office at the front entry.
Middle School Campus
- Add a secure vestibule at main entry.
- Air conditioning for gymnasium
High School Campus
- Add 4 classrooms and toilet
- Renovate existing band hall
- Add a major addition for new band hall practice hall and storage.
AMOUNT OF BOND ISSUE: $11,250,000
Typical Questions and Answers:
- IS THIS THE ONLY WAY TO RAISE MONEY?
To meet the needs of this District, this is the only way to raise this amount.
- HOW MUCH WILL MY TAXES BE RAISED?
- For $100k house - $133.00 per year (approx. $11.00 per month)
- For $50k house - $66.50 per year (approx. $5.00 per month)
- For $15k car - $59.85 per year (approx. $5.00 per month)
- For $10k car - $ 39.90 (approx. $3.00 per month
* Taxpayers should call the tax assessor if specific information on a property is needed.
- ARE WE PLANNING FOR THE FUTURE?
Yes, the new school is master planned for an additional grade.
- ARE WE PAYING FOR LAND?
No, the land is owned by the District.
- WHEN WILL THE NEW SCHOOL BE OPEN?
August 2019, about two (2) years.
- WHAT HAPPENS IF THE BOND ISSUE FAILS?
The District will attempt to maintain existing buildings.
- WHEN IS THE BOND ISSUE AND WHERE DO WE VOTE?
March 7th at North Pike Elementary Cafeteria.
- IF I’M 65 OR OVER DO MY TAXES GO UP?
Homeowners over 65 or disabled are exempt from taxes on the value of their house up to $75,000.
See what others are saying about the bond issue at: